The ConsenSys founder gives a sweeping overview of the state of blockchain.
Last weekend, Ethereum co-founder and ConsenSys founder Joe Lubin unleashed a 20-part tweetstorm on the state of blockchain technology and decentralization. Here it is in a more readable form with relevant links.
Blockchain is more than a market. It’s a movement.
Market cap doesn’t reflect activity. Decentralized networks are growing.
- 1M+ Truffle Suite downloads
- 1M+ MetaMask downloads
- 12K+ live Ethereum nodes
- 48M+ unique Ethereum addresses
- 3x LinkedIn blockchain job openings
Blockchains are solving real-world problems. Governments get it.
- Israel’s encrypted messaging system
- Estonia’s electronic healthcare record trials
- Dubai 2020 initiative
- South Africa Reserve Bank’s GoQuorum trial
- Japan’s e-voting system
- Zug uPort IDs + crypto ATMs
Enterprises get it.
- Ernst & Young puts zero-knowledge proofs on Ethereum
- Kaleido plugs into AWS Cloud and Azure
- GSK and BHP are tracking goods on Ethereum
- Hyperledger and Enterprise Ethereum Alliance join forces
- Morgan Stanley declares crypto a new institutional asset class
Developing nations are employing blockchain tech to leapfrog outdated financial systems.
- The Philippines is connecting rural banks via a crypto-cash payment system
- Chile is using Ethereum to track energy data
- Cryptoassets are protecting millions against hyperinflation
Blockchain projects are bringing relief to people who need it most.
- ConsenSys Social Impact and Project Bifrost
- Hala Systems’ early threat detection
- Blockchain-authenticated food vouchers for Syrian refugees
- Bounties ocean cleanup in Manila
- Much more on positiveblockchain.io
And now we all have the tools to protect our own data.
- Private, secure, and fast browsing with Brave
- Status mobile dApp browser and wallet
- uPort’s vision of the self-sovereign future
- 3box decentralized data storage
The blockchain ecosystem is interoperable and working together.
- StandardBounties + Gitcoin
- AirSwap + Opera + Meridio
- AragonProject, Dharma Protocol, and Zeppelin on Kauri
- Polkadot Network interchain protocol
- BTC Relay
- Cosmos parallel blockchains network
We have standards that allow us to BUIDL together and towards common goals.
- Token standards: ERC-20, 721, 948, 1337 Alliance
- Enterprise standards: Enterprise Ethereum Alliance spec 2.0
- File storage: Swarm, IPFS
- Naming: ENS
- Messaging: Whisper
We have tools. So. Many. Dev. Tools.
- Infura’s secure, reliable, and scalable access to Ethereum and IPFS
- Truffle Suite development made easy
- Pantheon from PegaSys joins the client game
- Kaleido blockchain business cloud
- AWS Cloud
Everyday we are coming up with more concrete solutions to the hardest problems around blockchain infrastructure.
- Pedersen commitments
- Atomic swaps
- Light clients
- Hardware wallets
UI gets friendlier and more beautiful by the day. Mobile is here.
- Coinbase Wallet
- Messari token research
- Rimble design system from Consensys Design
- Alethio’s analytics suite
- Numerai Erasure data marketplace
- Casa multisig wallets
The technology is still so nascent and will mature with every upgrade and obstacle tackled. Scaling solutions are coming.
- State channels
- Raiden Network
- Improved consensus algos
The blockchain space is full of open source heroes. We stand on the shoulders of giants.
- Satoshi gave us the code
- Andreas Antonopoulos keeps advocating the cause
- Vitalik Buterin cares more about the ecosystem than personal fame
- Taylor Monahan gave us a free interface for Ethereum wallets
The crypto community is so weird and amazing.
- People breed digital CryptoKitties
- Rick and Morty speak blockchain
- Neeraj Agrawal’s wisdom-filled memes
- Bountied songs about William Shatner
- Vitalik and his famous t-shirts
- @ChurchOfConsens, @ravecon0, @artifaqts wut
Decentralization is not just technological. It is social. Organizations are evolving.
- Bridgewater’s radical transparency
- Zappos’ flat hierarchy
- Valve’s rolling desk mentality
- Remote-first companies are tapping into global talent
- Bounties Network’s global freelance economy
I believe in blockchain technology because of the people behind it.
- The developers, engineers, and technologists who BUIDL
- The smart contract experts who audit and secure the code
- The designers who care deeply about user experience
- The marketers who tell the story of Web3
I believe in blockchain technology because of
- The gamers that play around with dice, kitties, and dApps
- The people at legacy institutions who demand their firms innovate
- The kids that take the time to create MetaMask accounts for their parents
- The professors and academics who pioneer advancements in cryptography
I believe in blockchain technology because of
- The Reddit, Twitter, and social media users (trolls too) that broadcast the message of decentralization
- The advocates and enthusiasts who adopt and believe in blockchain
- The nameless individuals who transact across the network and prove the protocol’s merits every single day
Alright enough tweetstorming. Let’s get back to work.
Disclaimer: The views expressed by the author above do not necessarily represent the views of Consensys AG. ConsenSys is a decentralized community withConsenSys Media being a platform for members to freely express their diverse ideas and perspectives. To learn more about ConsenSys and Ethereum, please visit our website.
Joe Lubin Explains Why the Ethereum Ecosystem Is Stronger Than Ever in 20 Tweets was originally published in ConsenSys Media on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.